Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Shrimp Filled Deviled Eggs And The Church Chicks

Tonight, I am meeting with a group of my Lady friends for what is called "The Church Chicks".  Some in the group disapprove of this name but I am rather fond of it.  Michael likes to call it "The Dinner Divas"which I think sounds far worse.  We get together about once a month at someones house and everyone brings something to eat or some wine (you can never have enough wine).  You never know what will show up or how many ladies will come but somehow it always works out.   We sit around drinking wine, eating great food and visiting.

Every time I go, I think ahead of what to make but always wind up in a panic situation on the given day.  This time is different!  I decided to bring deviled eggs.  Now southerners claim ownership of deviled eggs but I, a confirmed Yankee, have always eaten deviled eggs.  My mother and grandmother (both definitely Yankees) made deviled eggs and I have seen deviled egg recipes on a food blog I follow from the UK.  I suspect deviled eggs are not really southern.

SHRIMP FILLED DEVILED EGGS
COOKS.COM


6 hard-boiled eggs
1/4 cup Miracle Whip
1 teaspoon French's mustard
dash Tabasco sauce
salt, to taste
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
6 medium cooked shrimp, finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped

Cut peeled eggs lengthwise into halves. Slip out yolks; mash with fork. Stir in Miracle Whip, mustard, Tabasco, garlic powder and salt; taste and adjust seasonings.
Stir in shrimp and minced green onions. Fill whites with egg yolk mixture, forming a slightly rounded top, or pipe through a decorative pastry bag or cookie shooter.
Arrange on a serving dish.
Cover tightly and refrigerate.
Garnish with paprika and chopped fresh parsley before serving, if desired.
Yields 12 deviled eggs.
Submitted by: CM
 
So I started with this.  Miracle Whip is not allowed in this house, we are Hellman's through and we only use brown mustards (ewwww yellow mustard is only allowed at the ballpark!).  The only other adjustments I made were some pepper and minced yellow onion and capers to replace the green onions.  I pulled out the old Mirro Cookie Press and viola, they even look good!  I quess the best part was they are pretty dern tasty!
 

1 comment:

  1. If you want the pretty filling without having to clean out the cookie press, a lot of cooks/bloggers/food stylists use a disposable pastry bag or sammich bag with a frosting tip, or just cut nifty-like to pipe the filling out of. Then you just toss it. Kinda wasteful, but much easier than cleaning gooey egg out of the cookie press.

    ReplyDelete