Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Grocery List

Not my grocery list although....

I was talking to one of wine sales reps today, he's a fairly young guy with a wife and new beautiful baby girl.  Somehow we got on the topic of grocery shopping and he mentioned that since he's in the stores all the time he just picks up what they need and feel like for the day.  The other lady working with me changing out the wine programs (taking down what was on sale, finding homes for it, putting out the new sale wines and carefully going through the million sale signs) and I immediately broke into rashes.  It's not that we don't like to go to the grocery store (well at least I don't mind, I will not speak for her) its just that you spend so much more money shopping that way!

Now don't get me wrong, in my previous life I cannot even imagine how much I spent at the grocery store on food that probably got thrown out later.  I guess there are two wastes of money there, firstly the obscene amount of money I spent on food and secondly how much got thrown out.

I know that food shopping is not the same around the world and think I am fortunate to live in a place that has so much but along with that goes so much waste.  I often wonder what it is like to shop for food around the world.  Are there really all those markets they show on the travel shows?  Do people shop for the day or do they stockpile like we (or I) do here?

I think I have mentioned before that there is a note pad on the fridge here and we write down what is running low or what we need.  On my shopping day I take the list down and organize the things by store adding the things that we will need during the next couple of weeks before I go again.  We both try to not make any trips in between but sometimes you just have to for milk and stuff like that.  This week is my shopping week and to be honest there is still plenty to eat even though we are running low on sugar (I have some coffee with my sugar in the mornings) and we are out of ice cream. 

How do you do your food shopping?  There are folks from all over the world that read this blog and I would love to learn some of your tricks and the differnces so please share!

3 comments:

  1. I'm one of those horrible people who stress you out. :-) We buy on the fly. But, I wish I were like you. I really like the idea of having food at my house and only having to go to the store for milk and bread.
    I have started buying meat from Omaha Steaks, so at least I have something here more than just Wednesday's dinner!!

    And, hey, where did you find my list? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shop once a week, usually on the same day each week. I keep a mental tally throughout the week of what I'm running low on, and then on the morning of grocery shopping day, I sit down with my coupons, and make lists for what I need and where I need to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JuJu, you are on your way with at least having the steaks in the house!

    City Gal, sounds a lot like the way I shop except I am an every two weeks kind of gal. Along with the list on the fridge there is usally a list running through my head of things we need. I will go through the ads with my coupons (which I have been bad about using) and make my attack plan.

    Thanks for the comments!!!!

    ReplyDelete