Friday, September 21, 2012

Difficult Decisions

Times are tough for just about everyone and money just doesn't go as far as it use to.  Salaries (if you are fortunate enough to have a job) haven't kept pace with inflation and many of us are scrimping just to make ends meet. I know many people who have a full time job and than one or two part time jobs in addition just to try to get by.

I know someone who is all most always in a financial bind and that person brought to mind this morning the sometimes difficult decisions that have to be made.  Of course it is easier to be on the outside looking in when you know someone in this situation but when you can't pay the rent, the electric and water bills and don't have money for food it's time to make the cuts that have to be made.  You don't need a fancy phone with all the charges that go with it, you don't need cable TV with all those stations.  It's time to let go of what you think you have to have and focus on what you do need.  A roof over your head, food on the table, electricity and water.  Sure all those other things are nice to have but...do you really need them?

3 comments:

  1. I dunno, I've stayed at plenty of places that didn't have electricity or running water. But they were kinda set up for it.

    I think a lot of people have trouble telling the difference between needs and wants. I know down here it's easy to say "I need(x)", but you usually can't find it anyway. I *want* fancy imported food, restaurant dinners, good booze and a puppy. I *need* beans, rice, and veggies from the market.

    Oh, and Wifi. Gotta have Wifi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often feel guilty for all that I have. I wonder why I am so blessed and others are not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had the market cornered on guilt! I think as long as we share, and I know you do, than there is a reason we have what we do! As for the person I was talking about, she makes her choices. I have tried and tried to help, not with money but with ways to get on track but the choices have been made and it is the way they choose it to be. It upsets me greatly to see people mistreat themselves in this way but you can only help people that want help. I wish she would change as I see the stress on her face almost everyday over the way their life is.

      Delete