Monday, October 31, 2011

Fried Shrimp Wontons

Just a quick note before I head back to work from my vacation.....
We had to bring a snack to share with the group Saturday night and there was food a'plenty!  I even sampled some Venison sausage.  Being me, I had to try to out do the group and brought Fried Shrimp Wontons.  They were delish!  I will post the dip recipe and if you are braver than I and try it, please let me know how it turns out.  I didn't have any red wine or rice wine vinegar so I tried to substitute red wine vinegar (made sense at the time)...thank goodness I tried it before we left because YUCK!!!  Instead, we used soy sauce and some chopped scallions.  Total prep and cooking time is just a bit over an hour.

Fried Shrimp Wontons
1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, coarsely chopped
3-4 stalks green onions, washed, trimmed, diced
1 tbsp ginger, peeled and grated
1 cup water chestnuts, small dice
1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
1 tbsp sesame oil
~ 50 wonton wrappers
water or beaten egg white for sealing wrappers
oil for deep-frying
dipping sauce
1 tsp ginger, grated
1/2 tsp sugar
4 tbsp soy sauce
2-3 tbsp red wine or rice wine vinegar
chili garlic paste (optional)
Mix the shrimp, green onions, ginger, and water chestnuts in a bowl. Season with salt and sesame oil. Mix well. Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of a wonton wrapper and wet the edges on one half of the wonton with the water or egg white wash. Fold the wrapper in half on the diagonal and press the edges together, pushing out any air pockets in the wonton. Daub one of the bottom corners with more water or egg white wash and fold the wings in front of the wonton so that they cross at the corners. Press together. When all wontons are folded, heat oil in a deep medium saucepan to 350°F. Fry 5-6 wontons at a time until they are golden brown. Remove and set on a rack. To make dipping sauce, combine all ingredients and stir until sugar is dissolved. Serve hot wontons with dipping sauce.

2 comments:

  1. These sound SO delicious. Seriously, my mouth is now watering!

    What else did they have at the party? I love party food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it's like the gyoza recipe only with chopped shrimp instead of minced beef or pork? nifty.

    I hope everyone inhaled them.

    ReplyDelete