Thursday, December 8, 2011

Counting Down

Here it is a little over 2 weeks before Christmas and I have not started making my cookies yet.  I make the same cookies each and every year some my mother made (with the trusty Mirro Cookie Press) and some I have added.  I was thinking of doing Cookie of The Day Off recipes since I obviously need to make these on my days off.  The trick will be hiding them from Michael.

The first recipe is rum balls.  I found this many years ago on I believe Epicurious, thank goodness there is a handwritten copy in my recipe file because it is no longer posted.  These are a favorite with family and friends and there is a list of people who request them each year! 

Rum Balls

1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup sugar
3 Tbls light corn syrup
1/2 c rum
2 &1/2 c finely crushed vanilla wafers (basically one box)

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, whisk in 1/2 sugar and corn syrup.   Remove from heat add the rum, pour mixture over vanilla wafers in bowl and mix well.  At this point I put the whole thing in the refrigerator for an hour or so to cool down and get a little hard. 
Roll mixture by teaspoon full into about 1 inch balls and roll in sugar.
I keep mine in a somewhat airtight container in the fridge (usually the back so they are not found!)

My first rum ball experience was when I was much younger and our Uncle Ray made them and brought them to Mom's house.  This is not the exact same recipe but it is close enough!  I measure the rum and then usually wind up adding a touch more since it never looks like enough.....

1 comment:

  1. You'll still have some when I get home, right? Or, you know, we could have christmas cookie baking time in Jan/Feb. I promise to eat them all.

    Heart the rum balls.

    ReplyDelete