Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Feel Like Chicken Tonight!

Chicken is my go to, inexpensive, healthy main protein.  Right now I have chicken thighs cooking in the oven.  We eat a lot of chicken because its cheap and good for us. Sounds kinda boring but it really isn't.  I know the white meat is lower in fat which will help my husband continue to lower his cholesterol but, the leg thigh combo can be picked up here for around 49 cents a pound.  While I was perusing the store ads this morning I saw that Harris Teeter has them for only 47 cents a pound.  When I do my shopping later this week I will pick up a few packs, repackage them with two legs and thighs in each pack and throw them in the freezer.  Sometimes when I feel overly ambitious, I separate the legs and thighs and freeze them separately.  We will see how I feel later this week!

So, back to tonight's dinner (which is already in the oven as I am the closing manager tonight).

Chicken Thighs with Roasted Vegetables 

4 Chicken Thighs washed and dried
6 Carrots peeled and cut in 1 inch pieces
1 lg Onion sliced
1 Garlic clove minced
1 Tbs Olive Oil
2 tsp kosher salt divided
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp Herbs de Provence

Pre-heat oven to 350.  Place the carrots, onions and garlic in an oven safe baking dish, add olive oil and 1 tsp salt, mix well and move to the sides of the baking dish.  Place chicken in the middle sprinkle with the pepper, Herbs de Provence and remaining salt.
Bake for approximately 45 minutes - 1 hour or until the carrots are cooked through.

That's all there is to it.  I can do what I need to do while dinner for the two of us cooks away in the oven.  We will have left over mashed potatoes and a frozen vegetable with it (I leave the choice of veggie up to my husband when I am working since he will be dining solo).

No comments:

Post a Comment