Monday, June 4, 2012

Something We Do For Free!

Every year Charleston has this fabulous arts festival.  There is opera, ballet, modern dance, plays, art and a ton of concerts.  Michael learned about ushering from one of our friends about 5 years ago and has been doing it ever since.  I thought that my work schedule wouldn't allow it until I figured out it would and this is my third year ushering Spoleto.

Most cities have ushering positions available all you need to do is ask.  We are volunteers who take tickets and help folks find their seats, that's all there is to it and you get to see the show for FREE!!!!!

This year I got to pick out the shows we worked (not really) and this is what we have seen.

Cecile Salvant

This young lady is absolutely amazing, she has such a soulful voice and is only 24 years old (I think).


Jake Shimabukuro
I didn't have any idea you could do such amazing things with a Ukulele

And....
k.d. Lang
Who just blew the roof off the Gaillard Auditorium

We meet tons of interesting people, have a great time and get to experience things we wouldn't otherwise.  Just be prepared for the elderly lady seated in row Z (yes there is a row z at the Gaillard and it is a long hike up to that seat)!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I envy you! I adore KD Lang! Did she sing, "Catherine?"

    Good for you. Are you working any other shows?

    I stopped in your store today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew what she sang...other than Hallelujah I haven't the foggiest idea! We are not scheduled to do anymore shows but Michael is trying to usher a brass band concert Friday night at the Cistern. I will probably pass on that one as they don't start until after 9 and I have to be at work at 8.

    I missed you!!! Yesterday was my 6 am to 2 day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm envious, too! Love k.d. (saw her in L.A. many years ago) and LOVE Jake Shimabukuro--saw him with other ukulele guys and slack key guitarists. Awesome! So cool...lots of cool art things at Spoleto, right?

    ReplyDelete