Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mmmmm Smothered Pork Chops



My eldest daughter will be so proud of me, I got one of the drives to work all on my own.  The benefit all of you have is that I was able to download the software for my new camera so, a big hello from Bear!

A few weeks ago I was rummaging around on the Internet trying to find something to make for supper (seems like I wind up doing the same thing most days).  I had pork chops, mushrooms (which really needed to be used) and onions.  I came upon this wonderous meal, whipped it up and we enjoyed it that night with some mashed potatoes and green beans.  Michael asked that it be added to our regular assortment and so we had it again last night (I came home and found the chops defrosting in the fridge)!  A novice could make this as it is so easy.

Smothered Pork Chops with Mushrooms
from Gourmet Magazine

2 lbs bone in pork shoulder chops
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1/2 pound fresh cremini mushrooms sliced (I used plain white mushrooms)
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1 cup water

Pat chops dry and season with tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, then dredge in flour, shaking off excess.  Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12 inch heavy skillet (preferably deep) over medium high heat until it shimmers.  Brown chops in 2 batches, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes total per batch.  Transfer to a plate.


Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and cook onion and mushrooms with rosemary and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes.


Return chops and any meat juices from plate to skillet. 


Add water and simmer, covered until chops are tender, about 30 minutes.


I bet you were expecting a picture of the finished product but....I forgot!  I promise to remember next time!  One important thing I realized last night was to check and make sure you have a cover that fits your frying pan before starting!

2 comments:

  1. Big Black NOES!

    him so cute. Want to kidnap him.

    Also, glad you enjoyed it, got the whole computer/ camera thing worked out. I still don't know how you can eat mushrooms, though. Plegh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loveeeeee the puppy dog! (and the chops!)

    ReplyDelete