Thursday, August 11, 2011

Comfort Food



Bear somewhat patiently waiting for a snack


Yesterday we craved comfort food or as Michael calls it Diner Food.  I had taken some chicken breasts out of the freezer before I went to work and defrosted them in the fridge.  After I got home in the afternoon I started cruising the internet looking for something different.  My cooking searches usually start with what I have for example yesterday I typed in chicken breast bacon ricotta.  Nothing looked even tempting, they were mostly tasty suggestions but not what I had in mind (or necessarily on hand) so I asked Michael what he felt like eating.  His only request was mashed potatoes and from there dinner progressed.  We enjoy cooking together and my husband makes fabulous mashed potatoes.  They are light, creamy and lump less.  I peeled and boiled, he mashed and whipped (with Bear guarding him carefully the entire time).  In the end we wound up with chicken breasts roasted with carrots, onions and garlic, succotash (which Michael had made Sunday evening while I was at work), the fantastic mashed potatoes and gravy.  I am addicted to gravy and would probably eat it every day given the chance.  I am of the opinion that there is an art to making gravy, it takes time and patience, gravy cannot nor should it be rushed!

Roast Chicken Breast

2          Chicken breasts
1/2       medium onion, roughly sliced
2          carrots, chopped in what ever style you like (not too large or they will not cook correctly)
1 Tbs  olive oil
1 tsp    kosher salt
1 tsp    freshly ground black pepper
1         garlic clove minced

Pre-heat oven to 350, place chicken in oven safe roasting pan, spread onions, carrots and garlic over and around chicken.  Sprinkle all with salt, pepper and olive oil, making sure to get them on the veggies also.  Roast in oven about 1 hour or until carrots and chicken are cooked.  Remove from pan.

Gravy

Roasting pan with drippings and veggies
1 Tbs  corn starch
water (I cannot give you a measurement on this one)

Place pan with drippings over medium heat and add the cornstarch.  Stir and cook for a few minutes.  When it gets thick start adding water.  Lower heat to high simmer, continue stirring and adding water.  I usually cook the gravy for at least 10 minutes, stirring and adding water until it reaches my desired consistency.  Now some folks like thick gravy, some like thin gravy and others prefer in the middle somewhere.  I am a middle of the road kind of gal but you decide for yourself what you like.  Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. 

I was thinking before we started to eat, we should take a picture but, we were both famished and couldn't wait long enough to take the picture.  I than thought, perhaps take a picture of our empty plates but we decided a picture of Bear would have to do today.  This meal definitely required a long walk afterwards for the 3 of us!





2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, gravy. Is it wrong to admit that the main draw for me with making gravy is the opportunity to play with oobleck(sp?)?

    Also, how do you keep Bear's head out of the oven? He knows the chicken's in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's how you spell it. For those who do not know oobleck is corn starch and just the right amount of water. You have a not solid not liquid. Give it a try! It's kind of fun.

    As for your 4 legged step brother, he knows the oven is hot. That is the only thing that keeps the chicken (his favorite food) safe.

    ReplyDelete