Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Promised Raviolis

So much for yesterdays plans and sorry this is late!  Sometimes life and the weather gets in the way. 
Here are the promised pictures of the ravioli's.  I am not going to share the pasta or filling recipe this time.  It was not up to my standards.  Tasted okay but there is a questionable step in it (baking the ravioli after boiling) and the filling is too watery.  I will search some more and experiment on Michael again.  The sauce on the other hand turned out very tasty so that one you will get!

Not bad looking for a first attempt!

The sauce recipe serves two

Rustic Red Sauce

1 lg can diced tomatoes
2 short ribs
1 garlic clove minced
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbs fresh basil chopped
1 Tbs olive oil
1 cup water


Heat the olive oil in large pot over medium heat, add short ribs.  Brown on all sides, add remaining ingredients.  Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 3 hours or until ribs are tender, stirring occasionally adding additional water if needed.  Remove ribs and set aside.  Use immersion blender to break up most of the tomatoes leaving some intact.  Cut up rib meat add back to the sauce.  Warm through and serve.


6 comments:

  1. They look lovely! My first raviolis were a disaster...

    The Tuckerbag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, very nice. Raviolis work better if you strain out some of the liquid from the cheese first. Just line a strainer with a couple layers of cheesecloth or clean (washed) muslin, dump the ricotta/ cottage cheese in, and let it drip for a while.

    Less drippy that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash, I had to do quite a bit of trimming to get them fairly square and uniform. I even thought about taking out a ruler to do it but resisted the temptation

    J, The filling would have been okay if I had not added the egg called for in the recipe. The ricotta was pretty thick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yeah, that'll do it.

    I usually leave my ravioli "rustic"-shaped. They look kinda bloby, and usually pretty huge, but they taste yummy and look super homemade. Plus, I get more pasta edges to play with. And more crispy bits when I cover them in spiced breadcrumbs and fry them. Mmm, fried ravioli.

    Rats, making myself hungry again.

    Maybe I get you a ravioli form-thingy for thanks-for-giving.

    ReplyDelete