Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Purple Chicken!

I love to watch cooking shows, they are great source of  ideas and a wonderful way to learn new techniques.  We are without cable here so our choices are limited to what is on one of the 3different PBS channels available to us (weather permitting of course).  There is an amazing assortment of shows.  Everything from Lidia, to Julia, Jaques and this really cool Puerto Rican lady in Brooklyn.  One thing about all the cooking shows (other than Master Chef of course) is that the food always tastes and looks great!  I am not that fortunate though.  There are mistakes and not everything turns out the way I planned.

Earlier this week I was searching on line for a marinade that I could use on some skinless chicken breasts I had picked up at Doschers for 88 cents a pound.  They are called mis-cuts and there are often some pretty interesting chicken breasts in there but, they are cheap, they are healthy and they are good.  So back to the marinade.  I wanted something different and came across this marinade which actually tastes delicious!  The only problem with it (which is actually rather minor) is that between the soy sauce and the balsmic vinegar,  the outside of my chicken turned purple.  Not light purple but almost black purple, the color of an eggplant.

I think my husband was a tad hesitant to eat the purple chicken but in the end declared it quite tasty.  So, if you decide to try this marinade, perhaps some darker type of meat would be best!  I found this recipe on http://yummly.com/

Soy Sauce/Balsamic Vinegar Marinade

1/4 cup   tamari soy sauce
2 Tbsp    balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp    olive oil
2 Tbsp    fresh basil  minced
1/2 tsp    oregano
1/2 tsp    freshly ground black pepper
2            cloves garlic   minced
2            chicken breasts

Put everything except the chicken in a zip lock bag, add the chicken, seal the bag and squish the chicken around until coated.  Let marinade in the refridgerator for 3 hours.  Remove from the marinade and bake for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes or until done.  Viola!!  Purple Chicken!!

Did you know that today is National Watermelon Day?  The food excitement just doesn't stop all week long!

3 comments:

  1. Pics or it didn't happen. What happened with the official photo-taker? I wanna see purple chicken. I bet Tiz'd eat it. And Bear.

    Um, I mean Bear would eat purple chicken, not that Tiz would eat both the chicken and the dog. Just, you know, to clarify.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it sounds too bizarre to be true! I thought about asking the staff photographer to take a picture but to tell you the truth I think we were both laughing too hard to hold the camera still!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time, then. You could serve it with forbidden rice (which also turns purple when you cook it), and the goofy, purple fleshed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete